Sausage with Cider Recipe
Lane Farms delicious sausage with cider recipe.
- 8 Lane Farm Pork Sausages, weighing about 1lb (450g)
- 15 fl oz (425ml) strong dry cider – Aspall
- 1 Tablespoon of cider vinegar – Aspall
- 1 Bramley Apple, cored and sliced into rings (unpeeled)
- 1 Cox Apple, cored and sliced into rings (unpeeled)
- 1 level dessertspoon juniper berries, crushed slightly in a pestle and mortar
- 2 dessertspoons Yare Valley Rapeseed oil
- 8 oz (225 g) onions, peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz (225 g) lean smoked Brundish bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 level tablespoon plain flour
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
You will also need a 4 pint (2.25 litre) flameproof casserole dish measuring 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter, 3 inches (7.5 cm) deep, with a tight-fitting lid.
- Take a large, heavy-based frying pan and place it on a medium heat. Add 1 dessertspoon of the Rapeseed oil to it. When hot, fry the sausages until they are nicely browned on all sides and then transfer them to a plate.
- Add the onions, garlic and Brundish bacon to the frying pan and cook these until they have also browned at the edges. Place the casserole on the hob at medium setting, add the other dessertspoon of oil, then, when it’s hot, add the apple rings and brown these on both sides, which will take 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the sausages, followed by the bacon, onion and garlic, then sprinkle the Marriages flour in to soak up the juices, stirring it gently with a wooden spoon.
- Add the cider and cider vinegar, a little at a time, stirring after each addition. Then add the thyme, bay leaves and crushed juniper berries, season with pepper, but not salt because of the bacon.
- After that, put the lid on and simmer very gently on the lowest possible heat for 1 hour.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetables